What are blackheads? Get insights on the meaning, best ways to remove or get rid of blackheads on the nose, forehead and other parts of your body. You will also learn more on how to prevent blackheads from developing.
What Are Blackheads?
Blackheads are similar to whiteheads but they have a slight difference, both are also called comedones. It is a symptom of acne that causes the pores of the skin to become blocked. They are formed from a collection of sebum, dead skin cells and dirty that accumulate in your hair follicle.
Sebum is a secretion of the sebaceous glands, it helps in keeping the skin supple and moisturized. Overproduction of sebum may plug in the pores to form either blackheads or whiteheads. The only difference between blackheads and whiteheads is if the hair follicle is open or closed.
When the hair follicle is open, oxygen enters and oxidizes the accumulated oil, dead cell and dirty turning them brown-black. This is why they are referred to as blackheads. On the other hand whiteheads remains closed which prevent oxidation of the oil by oxygen in the air.
The blackheads are not always black as the name suggest. The color may vary from yellowish to black. Having blackheads does not mean that you are not washing your body well as it was believed by some people. They are formed below your skin and if you are washing your body daily, you may not be responsible for their formation.
Blackheads can form on any part of your body that has a hair follicle but they are common on some parts than others. You are likely to develop blackheads on the face specifically on nose, forehead, lip line and ear. The back and shoulders may also get affected.
This skin condition results from overproduction of sebum by the oil glands. There are various conditions that causes the sebaceous glands to become over-reactive. Such conditions includes the hormonal changes in your body during:
- Menstrual periods and
- Birth control pills.
The use of cosmetics and heavy sweating may also clog the hair follicles which results to formation of blackheads. As you continues to read, you will learn how to prevent blackheads.
Best Way to Get Rid Of Blackheads Fast
Blackheads is a skin condition that you would wish to get rid of fast. They may cause dark spots to appear on your face that have a bad look. There are various ways to get rid of blackheads fast while at home. They include the following:
- Apply Tomato Paste
Tomato paste has antiseptic properties that is effective in opening your clogged hair follicles. It also helps in drying up the blackheads as well as clearing other blemishes on your face. It leaves your skin smooth and soft.
Using ripe tomato, mash it to obtain a paste. Apply the paste on the affected area, you can as well apply to the other parts of the face. Leave it on the face for an overnight. Wash your face in the following morning using warm water. Apply this remedy daily until the blackheads fall off naturally.
- Use Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is effective in removing various skin problems and on how to prevent blackheads. It also has the power to get rid of blackheads overnight. It contains citric acid, Vitamin C and other nutrients that helps to fix skin various skin condition.
To use this remedy, mix lemon juice, yogurt, salt and honey to make a natural face scrub. Use the scrub to gently exfoliate your skin. When done, rinse your face with clean water. Use this remedy daily until the blackheads are gone.
- Apply Baking Soda
Baking soda for blackheads is considered to be the best treatment. It has bleaching properties that fades away skin blemishes as well as removing the blackheads. It also helps to get rid of all impurities on the face that contributes to development of blackheads.
You simply three tablespoon of baking soda and a few drops of water to make a thick paste. Apply the paste on the affected areas and use your fingers to massage the area. Leave the paste to dry on the affected area for 15 minutes before washing it away with water. Apply this remedy twice weekly.
- Use a Mixture of Sugar and Honey
A mixture of sugar and honey makes an effective face scrub. It helps to remove blackheads by getting rid of dead skin cells, excessive oil and dirty that clogs the skin pores. It helps to get rid of pimples on chin and other parts of your face. Here is the procedure:
Mix honey and sugar to make enough scrub. Clean your face and apply the scrub over the affected areas or the whole face. Use your fingers to massage the scrub gently. Leave the scrub on your face for 15 minutes before rinsing it off with water.
- Use Epsom Salt
Epsom salt is effective on how to prevent blackheads as well as treating them. It is considered to be the best face wash for blackheads and other face problems. It can also be used as a scrub to get rid of dead skin cells on your face.
To make this remedy more effective, you simply mix three tablespoon of Epsom salt in two glasses of hot water and add a few drops of iodine. Allow the salt to dissolve completely and the solution to become warm. Apply the solution on the affected area and rinse it away after 10 minutes.
- Apply Oatmeal
A combination of oatmeal and yogurt can be the solution for your stubborn blackheads. This treatment also helps to keep your skin from other problems. You simply mix some yogurt and oatmeal to make a paste.
Scrub the paste on the affected areas. Leave it on the affected area for 10 minutes before rinsing it away with water. Alternatively, you can mix the oatmeal with honey and tomato juice to make a paste before applying on the affected areas.
- Use Cornmeal
Apart from cornmeal being good for your health, it is also effective on how to prevent blackheads as well as getting rid of them. It acts as an abrasive that exfoliates the dead skin cells and dirty to open up the pores. This helps for prevention and blackhead removal.
Mix the cornmeal with any regular facial cleanser. Steam the affected area and apply the mixture. Leave the mixture to dry on the affected areas for 15 minutes. Use cold water to rinse it off. Use this remedy 3 times a week until your condition improves.
- Facial Steaming
This is the quickest way on how to bring a blackhead to the surface. It softens and loosens the skin which helps to drive the blackhead out of the skin naturally. To use this treatment, you simply boil water on a pan.
Remove it from the source of heat and use a large and thick towel to make a small tent that will cover your head over the hot water. Remain in the steam until the water cools down. When done, wash your face using cool water.
How to Remove Blackheads from Nose
Do you have open comedones on your nose and you want to remove them? Here are a variety of professional and home treatment that will help you to get rid of this condition:
- Apply a paste of baking soda with mineral water on your nose. It helps to exfoliate the dead skin cells and dirty that clogs the pores.
- Use products that contain salicylic acid and glycolic acid. They are effective on how to prevent blackheads as well as treating them. When applied on the affected nose, they penetrate to down the clogged pores and makes them open. The salicylic acid also helps to prevent them before developing.
- Use over the counter pore strips. This are medicated pore strips that are available in the cosmetic shops. They are effective on how to remove blackheads from nose at home.
- Apply prescribed retinoid cream on the affected nose. Retinoid contain vitamin A and also helps in exfoliating the affected areas to clear the clogged pores. Talk to your dermatological about this cream and if it can be the best treatment depending with the type of your skin.
- Consult your doctor about microdermabrasion. This is a treatment that involves the use of small crystals that removes the outer layer off the skin that contains the comedones. It is an effective treatment but it requires professional dermatologist.
- Wash your face with warm water twice daily. This helps to remove excessive oil that accumulates in the hair follicles to cause blackheads.
- Use natural toners for your face regularly. They are effective on how to prevent blackheads by removing any dead cells on the skin. They also reduces inflammations and redness that may appear around the nose after exfoliation. Natural toners can be made from a mixture of apple cider vinegar and crushed mint leaves.
- Apply egg white on the affected areas. This remedy is effective on how to remove blackheads from nose permanently. Although the smell may be unpleasant but you will be satisfied by the results.
- Exfoliate the skin around your nose using sugar scrub. Mixing sugar and jojoba oil makes a good scrub.
How to Pop Blackheads
Popping a blackhead is only a temporal solution since it does not clear up all your condition. You also aim the old and blackheads. Squeezing will clear the clogged pore but you have to learn how to pop it clearly without damaging the areas around. Squeezing does not help on how to prevent blackheads or get rid of them.
Check for the blackheads that will respond to popping and leave alone the small ones that are still developing. The method below will help you to know how to pop blackheads on your nose, cheeks, lip line and chin among other parts. It involves the following:
- Clean the affected areas using a mild cleanser.
- Use facial steaming to soften the skin and make the blackheads move closer to the skin surface. This will help to make those that are heady for popping to be visible.
- Wear gloves to prevent the bacteria from getting to your fingers. Alternatively, you can wrap a couple of tissues papers around the index fingers.
- Place your two index fingers at the base of the blackhead and push down. This should be done with some gentleness.
- Apply more pressure and squeeze as you move the fingers a bit up.
- This will make the accumulated material to come out. Use a tissue paper to wipe it out.
Blackheads that are ready to be popped will come out with little pressure. Avoid applying a lot of pressure on the blackheads that are not ready to be popped. The pores will remain open after popping.
How to Prevent Blackheads
Blackheads are formed as a result of clogged skin pores dues to excessive oil, dead skin cells and dirty. Although this skin condition can affect anybody, it is prone to some people than others. This may be due to hormonal influence and genetic factors that determines the type of your skin. You can easily prevent this skin condition by adhering to the following tips:
- Wash your face twice daily
This should be done using warm water and a mild cleanser. Do not use harsh bar soaps or other cleansers that contain fragrance. You should also avoid over washing your face. If you have to wash your face more than thrice, use water alone without soap to prevent excessive dryness of the skin.
- Keep your hands off your face
Frequent face touch may transfer the oil from the hands to your face that increases the chances of clogged pores. Dirty hands may also contain different bacteria that may penetrate the skin of your face to cause infections and other inflammations.
- Exfoliate your skin frequently
Exfoliate your face and other affected areas at least twice or thrice a week. It helps to open clogged pores by getting rid of dead skin cells and dirty. This remedy is effective on how to prevent blackheads from coming back as well as treating the present ones.
- Wash or change your beddings regularly
Wash or change your pillowcase and bed sheets regularly. Beddings especially the pillowcase may contain bacteria and other dirty that may cause blackhead and other types of acne. Clean beddings helps to prevent this skin condition from developing.
- Avoid oil based cosmetics on your face
Oil based cosmetics contributes to formation of blackheads. Such products usually blocks the hair follicles. Use water-based make ups and wash your face with warm water before sleeping to remove them. This is important when getting rid of blackheads on nose and other parts.
- Apply a mask at least once a week
Use a clay mask of your face weekly. This remedy is recommended especially if you have an oily skin. It helps in drying off the excessive oil that can clog in the hair follicles to form blackheads.
- Take a balanced diet with plenty of fruits vegetables and water
It is important to take a balanced diet for your general body heath. Your diet should contain plenty of fruits, vegetables and water. They contain vitamins and minerals that are effective on how to prevent blackheads on cheeks, nose, ears and other parts of the body.
- Continue using topical medication for a bit longer
You should continue using topical medications that contains salicylic acid, azelaic acid or benzoyl peroxide a bit longer after the blackheads have gone. It helps to prevent the recurrence of this skin condition. You may apply for a month longer.
- Avoid heavy sweating
Excessive sweat, dead skin cells and other dirty may also block the hair follicles. Avoid activities that triggers excessive sweating or you should wash your face immediately to prevent the sweat from drying on your face.
- Keep your hair off your face
The oil from your hair can easily run down your foreheads and other parts of your face to clog the pores. This can be prevented by keeping it off your face. You should also wash the hair if it has excessive oil.
- Apply moisturizers on your face daily
After washing your face, apply skin-type specific moisturizers. Properly hydrated face may discourage the blackheads from developing. The moisturizers should be oil free and non-comedogenic.
- Home remedies to get rid of blackheads overnight fast and naturally:
- How to get rid of blackheads fast:
- How to remove blackheads on your nose:
- How to pop blackheads properly:
- Acne – prevention:
- How to prevent blackheads: